Saturday, June 28, 2008

Knitting Lessons?




For a while now, I have been reading on friend's blogs about how fun it is to knit socks. The temptation has been there for me to learn the art of knitting so I too can try to make some (even tho they won't go well with my flip flops and sandals). Yesterday, I think I finally got the final temptation. Story goes....the owner of the company I work for told his wife - who knits - that I knit also (poor man doesn't know the difference between a hook and knitting needles..lol). For her mother's day gift, he paid to send her to the yearly Knitter's Convention. He told me how much fun she was having up there and how I needed to go next year. Yesterday, his wife shows up with a goodie bag for me! I was speechless! And she knew I was a grandma, so she gave me a pattern for baby socks/booties along with the yarn needed to make them. Now, I think I will have to find out when the next beginner's knitting class is at my LYS and make sure I have seat reserved in my name.
Earlier this week, YoYoghan #9 was completed. This week sometime, a box will be mailed with 2 yo yoghans heading for The Hartwyck Brain Trauma Unit in NJ. Also was able to finish up another scarf and several squares from the 99 Granny Square Booklet.
In the past I have mentioned my Aunt Mable who crocheted over 300 afghans for Project Linus. Tomorrow is her 98th birthday!!! She is my idol. In honor of her birthday and her many years of crocheting for charity, the afghan that I hope to start tomorrow will be given in her honor to a CFAC cause when completed. Just got off the phone with her and she is as spunky as ever. She finally put down her hook several months ago due to her eyesight. She told me how much she missed it. Tried to get her to try bigger hooks, but she said no. (Told her she is a stubborn, old Norwegian..lol)
Enjoy your weekend!

3 comments:

inkberryblue said...

Your yoyo afghan looks so pretty and fresh! I'm just about to try my hand at my first pair of socks too. I hope I'm still knitting and crocheting in my 90s ~ your aunty sounds amazing.

Patricia said...

Wow, what a nice surprise. I have knit with her on Wednesday's at B&N. She is pretty lively and a lot of un to be with. If you're into learning how to make socks, lets try and get together at the bakery on a Saturday. Maybe I can help you out!

Patricia said...

...alright, comment #2...we;re meting tomorrow, upstairs at the bread store. 9ish?